CTL14 - Basket Test Apparatus
Tests samples of dust and powders to detemine their self-heating properties and enable accurate scale-up of ignition temperatures.
- Designed to permit testing to the UN Transport of Dangerous Goods manual of tests and criteria and also in general accordance with the paper "Self Heating: Evaluating & Controlling the Hazards", Buildings Research Establishment, UK,1984, ISBN 011671364X
- Easy method to explore self heating effects of powder materials stored in bulk
- Easy functionality & simple to change/suspend each test sample within the system oven
The Chilworth Basket Test Apparatus system comprises all the necessary components to permit testing in accordance with the method described by the UN Transport of Dangerous goods - Manual of Tests and Criteria and also by P.C Bowes in the paper "Self Heating: Evaluating and Controlling the Hazards", Buildings Research Establishment, UK, ISBN 011671364X.
Dusts and powders stored at elevated temperatures can undergo a chemical reaction leading to self-heating and possibly ignition within the bulk material. Several factors are to be considered when determining safe storage temperatures. The volume and surface area of the storage vessel, the proposed storage temperature and the storage duration should all be taken into account.
The basket test technique provides a useful modelling tool for understanding these parameters of product behaviour. The levels at which (a) ignition occurs and (b) no signs of ignition are evident are determined for baskets of typically three different volumes. From graphical analysis of this data it is possible to determine the self-heating onset temperature for any volume of material.
Functional Specification & Deliverables
- Oven: 0 - 400 °C fan assisted with PID temperature controller
- Mains supply: 220 - 240 V single phase / 7 A or 120 V single phase / 13 A
- Thermocouples: K type, 1 metre long. Oven and sample
- Reaction vessels: 1 set stainless steel mesh basket cubes 50 mm / 75 mm / 100 mm* (more can be supplied as spares) – 0.053 mm opening
- Sample support: Outer spot welded basket which permits air flow circulation to / around inner basket cubes
- Miscellaneous items: Manuals, catchment tray
- Data acquisition card & software: Basket test apparatus data acquisition software which can be pre-installed on the recommended optional PC / monitor
- K-type thermocouples
- Special configuration systems such as basket test apparatus with Nitrogen blanketing
- PC with software pre-installed