CTL23 - BAM Friction Test Apparatus
Measures a substance‘s susceptibility to friction from sliding or rubbing contact for transport, packaging and regulatory classification (UN, EC and EMTAP).
- Excellent for screening products for sensitivity to friction stimuli in order to determine whether a substance is a friction sensitive explosive
- Excellent screening tool for classifying a product for transport and EU packaging and labeling classification
- Simple to use weight location via integrated spherical peins fitted to each weight
- Robust design
- Permits testing in Frictional load range from 5 to 360 N
BAM Friction Apparatus
Some powders are deliberately manufactured with such highly energetic behaviour, but occasionally it is an unexpected property of a new material. For regulatory compliance there are a number of screening tests which have to be performed on new materials in order that they can safely be transported. One such screening is the BAM Friction test, which measures sensitivity to sliding (rubbing) contact and to determine if the substance is too dangerous to transport in the form tested or to classify in terms of its explosivity and labelling etc.
This apparatus is defined in the United Nations Handbook "Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods – Manual of tests and Criteria" and also in the European Commission Handbook "Classification, Packaging and Labelling of Dangerous Substances in the European Union Part 2 – Testing Methods". This apparatus also appears in the Defence Ordnance Safety Group, Energetic Materials Testing and Safety Policy Committee Manual of Tests Vol.1 Test 43A (EMTAP).
Functional Specification & Deliverables
The apparatus and accessories supplied are as follows:
- 1 x Friction Tester assembly complete with base plate, cam assembly with sliding carriage, motor drive ( 220 / 240 V / 50 Hz or 100 / 120 V 60 Hz), peg locating device, counterbalance arm and operating switch box
- 1 x loading arm with 9 notches for weight location
- 1 set (400 pce) porcelain pegs
- 1 set (100 pce) porcelain plates
- 1 x 0.28 kg load weight (Weight 1)
- 1 x 0.56 kg load weight (Weight 2)
- 1 x 1.40 kg load weight (Weight 3)
- 1 x 2.79 kg load weight (Weight 4)
- 1 x 5.58 kg load weight (Weight 5)
- 1 x 8.34 kg load weight (Weight 6)
- The weights above allow coverage of the desired 5 - 360 N load range
- 1 x counterbalance weight
- 1 x instruction manual
- 1 set calibration graphs for load weight locations
All apparatus supplied by DEKRA Insight is provided with a warranty (excluding consumables).
- Other load weights available at extra cost
- Additional sets of porcelain pegs and plates